Monday, December 15, 2014

Post 31: The Clearing and The Conduit



The flowers were bright, almost neon colored, in the field surrounding her. She lay on her side, playing in the grass; curling her toes into the soil. Throwing her head back, Ana laughed as a soft kiss of a butterfly touched her cheek. It was quiet of city life and loud with nature, here in the clearing. A trickle of a lake surrounded her, rimming the clearing just before the trees formed to a forest.


            “Ana, we need your help.” A soft but strong voice spoke behind her. A softly rounded woman sat on a tree stump just barely jutting from the ground. Her outstretched legs were covered in dirt and the soft white linen dress she wore lay bunched at her knees. She leaned back, stretching her arms behind her until her palms rested flat against the top of the stump.


            “But I don’t know how I could help.” Ana rolled onto her right side so she was facing the woman. “You seem…so familiar to me.” Propping up on her elbow she took in her features. The soft brown skin, honey colored trusting eyes and brown hair called to her. There was no trickery here, she asked her of her help with hope that she’d be willing.


            “I know why you left Senatus. I know why you and Chase separated. I know you really didn’t mean to deliver his mate to that devil. They, however, don’t know this. You committed treason, Ana Guile. They have no trust in you.” The woman rose from the stump and came to sit next to Ana. Despite the soft roundness to her body and hips, she gracefully sat with her knees tucked to the side.


            “And you do?” Ana sat up, crossing her legs before her making sure to tuck her own linen dress tight around her knees.


            “Yes, I know that seems weird or rather hard to believe but I also was an Eidyia Woman. Although we might not have worked in groups or even well together in teams as the Dark Warriors, we still were a unit. I have many centuries of experience, the loneliness doesn’t get any better without someone. Knowing that Chase was not the one for you must have killed you and the thought to deceive him, that’s why you left. And initially, it was only because you had no choice; then the allure of the dark power was so bright. It seduced you, just as it had me.”


            “It’s not that hard to believe,” Ana said “you being an Eidyia Woman. I sense it in you.” She leaned forward and glanced down at the clasp hands in her lap. “I loved him, I did, just not in the way mates should love each other. I never even felt tempted to complete the Mauma, we never had the shared visions of the Codra Mauma. I’m sure our passion was..” she blushed “just as great as any. I just…”


            “Couldn’t connect?” The woman leaned forward and smiled, tucking wayward strand behind Ana’s ear. “I know, sweetheart, I know.”


            “I just couldn’t deceive him any longer and I knew the only way to get out of it all was to become a Woman of Ganesha. Being a traitor is hard. I…You have to do things you don’t want to do. I knew Devlirus was up to something. I just didn’t want to believe that my part would be the end all.” She shook her head as the tears fell.


            “End all?”


            “Yes, he spoke to me, after he’d captured the woman and her mother. He said “thank you for giving my race back its home.” I didn’t understand what he meant so I did some research. Malvroy is dying. Not like the Moen and not like Plutos. It will surely implode. The anger, grief, strife and destructiveness of the Malus tipped the balance. The dark power took over the light source of the planet and for the last centuries it’s been destroying itself piece by piece and soon there will be nowhere for them to go.” Tears streamed faster down her cheeks and she looked up and stared right at the woman. “Can you imagine? Arinth being destroyed? Us never being allowed to go back home. Can you imagine us having to move our entire race to a different planet, with a different solar system, different gravity, and different essence?” She shook her head.


            “That is their own fault.” The woman nodded as a stricken look covered Ana’s face. “It is! While not every species on that planet is evil or bad or angry, they were warned. Several times. Over my rein as Eidyia on Malvroy, I held secrets for their government. Ones that, to this day, I cannot share; not even with you. They knew, they thought they had time and despite my judgment and guidance they ignored me and the warning signs. I had to…” the woman shook her head as her own eyes misted, “leave the man I loved behind when the Council retired me. Conflict of interest, my want to save them, is what they called it.”


            “You lived there? Before the resistance? Before the attack on Earth began?”


            “Yes, and while I loved and loved deeply and tried the best I could, I couldn’t save them. But you have the chance to save a race. The Malus had their chance. Pray, what do you think they will do with Earth when they set up here? They will destroy every species on this planet all the while enveloping themselves further into the darkness.” She shook her head angrily. “They weren’t so bad in the beginning but desperation is an evil poison.”


            “Earth? I’m sorry, you have it confused. If I remember correctly, I can see it all now. By the grace of Light Warriors, they don’t want to inhabit Earth. They want to steal its life source. Earth is the center of the galaxy, is it not?” she didn’t wait for the woman to respond. “It’s the only planet strong enough to transfer life and light source to another. They need the essence of Earth to replenish the light on their planet, to heal their planet. That’s why they need a conduit! If I’m not mistaken, the only other conduit besides Egeria Shen is Anders Culvert. They are both well-guarded. Maybe they plan to use Chase’s mate to get to her father.”  


            “They don’t need Anders. Adrian is also a conduit. If her kidnapping was truly a body possession, they can make her do anything. I don’t know if she’s strong enough to resist. Removing the light source from an object not only destroys it but destroys the vessel. Adrian will die before she even knows what happened!” The woman jumped to her feet in one fluid motion and reached down to pull Ana to her feet. “Will you help us?”


            “Yes, whatever I’ve done must be undone. I will help willingly.” Ana nodded.


            Blinking against the light that shone into her eyes, Ana threw her hands up against the beams. A strong metal smell filled her nose and she took a deep breath of musky air. Glancing around, she noticed she was no longer in the clearing dressed in her ceremony linens. She stood in a cell, alone. A clanking sound from just before her face, startled her. Stepping backwards, Ana gasped as the woman she’d stood in the clearing with stepped into the cell.


            “I’m Arinth. You said you’d help willingly, does that still stand?” Her voice was still soft and strong, despite the fierce look on her face.


            “Yes, I’ll help anyway that I can.” She glanced behind her as she saw Chase and what looked to be the other warriors of his team, watching. “Hunter, I swear, I had no idea she was your mate. I promise I didn’t know what would become of her.”


            “If you really mean that then you will help us find her.” He spoke before turning and exiting the dungeon. The rest of the warriors followed suit. Arinth turned back to her, a softer look on her face.


            “By the grace of the Light Warriors, you must be hungry.”  She then turned and shuffled from the dungeon; Ana followed just on her heels.


"The only way to be a writer is to write, write and write. The only way...is to write." -Jade Elyzabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment