Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Post 29: Trust



“…so you mean to tell me that Adrian left, betrayed us, and you didn’t think to tell me?” Chase stood in front of Tristan’s desk, both hands placed flat against its wooden surface. “How…dare you? I know none of you have been ever so lucky to have a mate just yet but I have mine and you just fed her to the wolves. Did you even try to stop her?”


            “This is my team Hunter, or have you forgotten? And might I mention, I don’t consult you on what goes on with my missions why you are off dallying with your ex. This same ex that you have brought into our safe house, this same ex that has confessed to you that she was the one who told Devlirus where to find your mate. So before you go asking what rights go where I suggest you check your own decisions, brother.”


            “Brother? Bah!” Vectio, finally rising from the silence he’d fell back in since they’d first discovered her betrayal, straightened from his position against the wall. “None of you know the meaning of brotherhood. You have all battled together, yes. You have all saved each other once upon a time, yes. You have all even shared the carnalities of this world, yes. The one thing you do not know of is trust.” He turned to each of them, shaking his head in despair. “My team, may the dead rest…” they each repeated the soft endearment for the dead. “We were brothers. Two among us, in the blood sense. You want to know why I refused to interject with this team it lies before you. There is no trust amongst you.”


            “What do you know? We place full trust, of our minds, bodies and gifts in each other’s hands. If that is not trust then it does not exist.” Mendax felt his blood hum as he stepped in front of Vectio.


            “If you so trusted each other, why hasn’t Tristan told the team he can’t get in touch with the Council? He’s been trying for a long time now and he hasn’t heard a word sense. If there is trust why Mendax wouldn’t tell Hunter that every day he feels himself drawn to Adrian as if their blood bonded? Also, if you trusted each other, as true warrior brothers do; why hasn’t Hunter told Mendax he knows he infiltrated his mind to think he was mated to Ana those centuries ago? Trust holds no grudge or secret.” Turning to each other Mendax and Hunter stared into each other’s eyes, searching their auras for deception.


            “Ana told me that it was the Councils wishes that she and I mate. They brought you in to introduce us and to convince me that Ana and I were meant to be together. I remember the day now. You followed me after the Serist Adantra and put your hand on my shoulder, telling me that if I wasn’t going to Marry Ana Guile you’d snatch her up. I remember thinking that I’d never considered mating her before. I loved her, sure, but I’d never thought her and I would be together. Then it all made sense somehow. It was like I’d come to a realization that I was in love with her and had to have her.” He stepped back and ran a hand over his face. Mendax shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose.


            “I never thought you’d become my Abasha, that we’d fight together. I never thought Ana would be a traitor. It was my job, one of the parts of my past in Senatus that I don’t share. I was commissioned by the Council to consult on many galaxy issues. They needed a union, one of great minds. They brought me a list of Dark Warriors and a list of Eidyia Women. The two of you just made sense. It was easier to convince the two if they were already acquainted.” The rest of the warriors stood silently as Chase Hunter processed the information.


            “And Ana, she was convinced as well?”


            “No. Ana we nearly had to threaten, subtly of course. She loved you but she wasn’t easily convinced. The Eidyia Women are chosen at birth for their ability to hold Intelligence.  They also are chosen for their abilities to thwart Influence and I couldn’t hold her mind long enough. Since she already held love for you the only thing I could convince her of was that it was in your best interest and your life depended on it if you were to be mated. That you were truly meant to be together and didn’t it make sense considering your history? Eventually she agreed and having already been enthralled; you pursued her relentlessly and she gave in.” Chase sat in the chair he’d kicked to the side when he’d entered the office. He studied the surface of the desk before him and shook his head again.


            “You don’t know…how happy that makes me. I wasted centuries with her but I knew something was off when I met Adrian. I knew there was something just…more. I felt, though we are no longer married, that I was betraying Ana somehow by completing the Mauma with Adrian. And speaking of her, you are in love with her?” The segue was quick, to the point and for a moment none of the warriors breathed. The tension rose and enveloped each of them as they watched Mendax’s face draw blank.


            “I do love her, I’m not in love with her. I am drawn to her though, for some reason her blood calls to mine and I’m not sure why. I am an honest man, despite my history and employment by the Council. She isn’t mine to have and daresay I will not attempt to take her. You don’t need to keep your eye on me, brother.” Mendax held out an arm to Chase, palm up and extended. Chase didn’t hesitate but grasped Mendax’s forearm and placed his other hand on his shoulder.


            “I believe you.” The forgiving energy between the two cut the tension and bled to the other warriors. Together they turned to their leader with their arms clasped behind their backs; waiting.


            “It’s true. I’ve been disconnected from the Council for a very long time. So has Shepard, the European team had the communication cut a lot longer than us. We’ve been meeting without you to find a way to repair the portal and have been unsuccessful. Shepard and I thought it best to not discuss this with our teams until the need arose; that time has come. They are rising and soon. They need Adrian for something and we aren’t quite sure what it is. The only one that seems to know is in our dungeon. First, let us go and speak with the traitor. Ana must have something on the Malus that we can use to find out why they really need Adrian. The Council isn’t available; for now, Chase, your mission to capture and turn her over has been voided.” He nodded and rose from his seat behind the desk where he’d been lounging.


            “I used to be an Eidyia Woman. I retired. They sent me here to live out my life. I have been living here, protecting, watching over and guiding the Dark Warriors that inhabit this safe house. I’ve kept it a secret from the Council. Now you know my history. I am sure, should you allow my help, Ana would be more…susceptible to answer your questions if she talks to me.” The warriors turned at the soft voice. Arinth, Cook, stood there in the door with both arms wrapped around her waist. Her brown skin glowed slightly as she let down her guards, allowing them to see her true aura, a soft trusting white.


            “Yes, Arinth. We’d appreciate all the help we can get.” He walked towards her and placed a hand over his heart.


            “Good, now if you’re done sitting around moping like girls, dinner should be ready in five and don’t forget to wash.” Pausing to make sure she received a nod from each warrior, Arinth turned and left the room.


            “Ahhh….trust.” Vectio smiled slightly at them before disappearing.


 


"The only way to be a writer is to write, write and write. The only way...is to write." -Jade Elyzabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment