Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Post 27: Mind Control and Devlirus Malus

Adrian stood just to the side of Tristan as the men secured the store around her. They must have felt something in the store or gathered some sort of information she wasn’t aware of. Mendax raised a hand and shielded off the main entrance to the department store they were standing in.

Turning back toward the front, Adrian gasped as a group of sword wielding men appeared before her. They stood tall, almost giant like and yet lean in comparison to her warriors. Their eyes were filled with black and darkness. Most of them, oddly, wore shaved heads with intricate patterns and designs at their temples. She’d seen them before, in her dreams, in the book she’d found on Malvroy and in Chase’s memories when they mind shared. If they weren’t trying to kill them, Adrian might’ve studied them; admired them for their beauty. Just as she prepared to use her ever extensive training, Adrian felt a burning at the back of her neck again. She gasped, and reached an arm back, but felt nothing.


Dearest, I trust you have had a good morning? I’d like to invite you for a little chat. Do you like tea? The voice filled her mind. It clogged her senses and she found it hard to breathe as it pushed against her shields. Grabbing her head, Adrian barely escaped the swing of Tristan’s sword as he battled a Malus right beside her.

Who are you? Get out of my head!


Oh! That’s not truly how you greet a guest, is it? How rude. And here I thought we could be friends. I’m Devlirus Malus. I’m sure you’ve heard of me. Awesome being, most powerful, filled with hatred towards…well, everyone; I could go on and on with the compliments I’m given but that’s neither here nor there. A piercing pain at the base of her skull nearly blinded her as the presence took over her body. Now, let me get you away from this fight. A lady should never see the bloods of battle. Hasn’t your race learned anything? Adrian’s eyes widened as her feet began to move of their own accord. With each step, she resisted and the pain exploded in her mind.

By now I would have assumed that you learned the harder you resist the more my possession will hurt. The more pain you will feel. What I haven’t told you, is the harder you resist the more pain your mother will feel. Did I mention she sits beside me? Quite a lovely lady, I don’t know why you’d want to leave her alone and unprotected. At the mention of her mother, Adrian immediately ceased resisting. Turning quickly, Adrian caught Tristan’s eye. He seemed angry, in the heat of battle.


Tristan! She screamed to him and he ignored her. Please! Help me! He has my mother. Tristan! He pushed hard against her, blocking her from speaking into his mind. Why won’t you help me? Her face fell as he shoved the man before him and stood as she was drawn away. Looking towards the other warriors, Adrian gasped as they all seemed to stand there, letting her be taken. All of their minds blocked against her. Had they used her as bait? Would they really turn her in? Did Chase know about this? Is this why he hadn’t come back? What are you getting in return for this? She turned in on herself, despair filling her soul. A laugh, as loud as a cannon, reverberated around her brain.


I guess they lied; they won’t protect you after all. What did you think, dearest, that you’d fall in love and you would live happily ever after with your sad band of barbarians forever? Ha! If I had a coin for every time that came true…well…I’d be penniless!


The voice in her head continued to taunt her but she blocked it out. Her heart sorrowed. Chase had taken Tristan’s side and she didn’t want to jump to conclusions but he’d completely shut her out the entire day. Maybe he knew that she’d called her mother. Was this the punishment for directly disobeying an order? She was strong, she was a conduit, she had gifts; all of which she could use to get her and her mother out of this. Then they would get as far away from Devlirus, the Malus and the warriors. Maybe then she’d be able to heal her heart.

I doubt it. His voice was soft in her mind as if he were comforting her but it was soon followed by a deep chuckle. She ignored him and shut down her mind; closing off and letting him take over completely. She needn’t fight; resisting his pull drained her. She was too tired to fight; at least for now.



"The only way to be a writer is to write, write and write. The only way...is to write." -Jade Elyzabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment