Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Post 22: Mothers and Liars

She wasn’t angry because they’d taken the phone, she was angry because of the reason. Tristan told her that any contact with the outside world would be prohibited until she finished her training. At first, she’d had no problem with it. In the wake of Chase Hunter leaving, Adrian had almost forgotten about her mother’s call. It was as if their ritual, facilitated by Arinth, to keep it together despite being out of each other’s reach had completely clouded her mind. He’d left and for the first few hours it hadn’t seemed to work.


Now she sat in the kitchen, two weeks later, missing him but not feeling, in the slightest bit, ill. She wondered how he was doing and where he was. Not using her abilities, gifts really as Tristan called them, to find him was hard. It was as if she could just sense him on the edge of her conscience. He’d reached out to her on the sixth day that he’d been gone. He’d come to her in a dream share. It’d gotten so strong since they’d done it that first time that they didn’t even have to be in the same house or even the same state for them to share it. She was determined to try it now. Tristan be damned straight back to Arinth. Adrian liked him but she was not about to just give up on her mother or not have any contact with Chase at all. She’d have to defy him and he’d have to just live with that. She’d see what Chase had to say about it first.


Where are you? It seems like you’ve been gone for forever, she thought to Chase.


I’m scouting. I don’t want to cause you any heart ache, I promise, I will return. She could almost hear the smile in his voice.


With or without your wife?


Adrian, she’s not my wife anymore. We aren’t even really mates, she says and I believe her. I am completely yours, his voice, his ‘mind’ voice, sounded aspirated.


I know, I know. I’m sorry. When will you return? Tristan took the phone from me. I’m not allowed to contact my mother. I told you how worried she was. Maybe you can talk to him? She projected her feels to him, so he could feel her loss.


I’m sorry, Adrian but I actually side with him on this one. I love you, I do, but the only way we can really protect your growing abilities is for you to cut all outside contact. It’s not for forever, it’s only for now. You will be able to speak to your mother soon, I’m sure of it. He paused for her response but she didn’t speak. Her heart hurt but she refused to let him feel her emotions. She kept them away from their connection and cleared her throat.


You’re right, you’re absolutely right. I’m sorry, I just am not used to not being able to see or talk to her. I feel horrible. Before this, I’d told her I needed time and space. I didn’t call or talk to her for…what seems like forever. Now that option is taken away from me. She hated lying to him, not that any of that was really false. It was just that she was determined to speak to her mother and see what she knew and her mate was standing in her way. He’d understand, she was sure he’d had a mother once upon a time. He probably did centuries ago, most likely but hers was alive and well. Now that she thought about it, she actually had no idea if his mother was alive or not.


…and when I return I promise I will treat you like the queen you are but right now I’m on a hot trail and I’ll have to talk to you later. Unknowingly, she’d missed almost everything he’d just said.


Darn!


Adrian! Are you ok?


Yes, yes, I’m fine. Sorry, I just thought we were going to get to talk longer, I miss you and I love you. She recovered nicely.


Me too. Love you to. Bye!


"The only way to be a writer is to write, write and write. The only way...is to write." -Jade Elyzabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment